Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Transformations

I haven't written in a long time! It's nice to be back, and to have fun things to write about! Since we are expecting our first child this fall, we've decided to make some significant changes to our condo in order to prepare. This has meant moving things into a storage unit, selling other items, making a few trips to Goodwill, and investing in smart furniture purchases!

We started downstairs in the living room, where we previously had a couch and loveseat set taking up pretty much the entire space. While we really like these pieces, we wanted a couch that could convert into a bed for guests, so that we don't have to use the nursery as a guest room. Well, Ikea is brilliant. They make a sofa bed that is not like a traditional pull out couch. It is an L shaped sofa, with a section that pops up to turn the entire thing into a double bed! Plus the chaise section lifts up for storage! It is such a great piece that increases our options, gives us more floor space, and also provides storage!

Here's the before of our living room:


And after: 





And here is what the couch looks like as a bed: 
Image from Ikea.com. Moheda Sofa Bed.

Other changes are happening upstairs, where we are converting the former French guest bedroom into a nursery. We put the queen bed into our storage unit, and then puchased an Ikea daybed with a trundle and 3 huge drawers for storage. With the daybed up against the wall, there is now tons of floor space for our little one to play! And I really can't emphasize how huge these drawers are. The storage is going to be great! The bed is quite comfortable too (I'm lounging on it as I type!). 

BEFORE: 
This was actually my childhood bedroom!

AFTER: 

The bed is Hemnes from Ikea. We hired professional furniture assemblers to put it together- well worth it! 

I haven't bought a quilt for it yet, since I'm not sure what the color scheme for the nursery will be. We will find out the gender at our mid-pregnancy ultrasound, and then the decorating will continue! 

One more DIY project I've got going on is transforming the bookcase into a closet. To get an idea of how it would look, I've already emptied out the top half, purchased a tension rod from Target, and some of those cute little baby hangers. I think I'm going to really like this! I'll put baskets on the shelf below to hold additional items. The books will be packed up for the storage unit! 



And that's it for the transformations at this point! I know I'll enjoy doing little bits over the next few months. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying our new items!


No comments:

Post a Comment