Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Mitten Smitten

This post is dedicated to the wonderful and, at the moment, completely frozen state of Michigan! Though I only lived there one year, this state has had and always will have a special place in my heart. My entire family is from Michigan. My parents met in the same small town where their parents met. And, not least, we were married in Ann Arbor! It will always be close to my heart!
Our collection of great lakes stones!

Not surprisingly, evidence of our time spent as Michiganders can still be seen in our home. I love the collection of stones that we gathered from (all but one of) the great lakes. Our living room is adorned with an antique map of the state, looking significantly less thumb-like according to that early cartographer. And Douglas loves snuggling up on his UM blanket (go blue!).

State pride is strong for Michiganders, and I understand why. It is a hidden gem in the midwest, with some of the most beautiful vacation spots I've ever visited. Mackinaw Island and the great UP are not to be missed! On top of this, the people are super friendly, and there is a quaintness that still exists in many of the small towns.

So, because it's like home to me, and because I love Michiganders too, here are just a few ways to pay homage to the great Mitten state!

Ah, Michigan cherries! Leaving aside the fact that I am allergic to them, I have it on good authority that they are the best. This antique sign makes me think of summer, and of fresh Cherry Pies from the Grand Traverse Pie Company! $15 from fairy-freckles.com 


I love rustic wood signs. This one also has a modern feel to it, with the bright colors and simple typography. Whether you are still in state or have moved, home is never far. $34.99 from the WorldLust Etsy shop. 


If you have a large collection of small, flat, Petosky stones, here is a DIY that may interest you. These pebble hot pads are super cute and such a great idea. See glitzbliss.blogspot.com or visit my Pinterest DIY board for complete instructions. 



What if you could pay homage to Michigan's nautical side AND it's automobile history at the same time? Well, for more serious DIYers, this Rope Tire Ottoman is just for you! Old tires become sturdy extra seating that can easily slide under a coffee table. See handimania.com for complete instructions. 

If you've made it this far, I hope I've left you craving Zingerman's Deli and reaching for your nearest box of Jiffy Mix! Go Wolverines (sorry, Dad)! 

No comments:

Post a Comment