Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Chocolate Banana Tortilla

I've done a lot to give up sugar since last September. I've cut out many of the foods that once regularly inhabited my fridge. I don't go for ice cream runs when I'm feeling sad or stressed. And I have wandered up and down the aisles of whole foods stocking my cart with healthier snack alternatives. 

The hardest part of this? Chocolate. 

I have substituted organic dark chocolate bars or dark chocolate covered pretzels that I love. They are a huge help when I'm craving a little taste of chocolate. And there is so little sugar in them! The fact that I'm seeing results from these changes do help to keep me motivated. It's hard to believe that I used to get headaches nearly daily, when I hardly ever get them now! I credit part of that to the diet changes. It has taken some creativity however!

One of my favorite snacks lately has been whole wheat tortillas with banana, nutella, and oats. I know what you are thinking- how did nutella make the list of OK foods? 

Here's the trick: Take just a small teaspoon full of it and spread it as thinly as possible over half of a whole wheat tortilla. Add banana slices and sprinkle some oats, then fold it in half and warm over medium heat for a minute or so on each side. The small amount of nutella will fill the entire tortilla with warm gooey chocolate deliciousness! And one teaspoon has about 5grams of sugar. I usually split this snack with my husband, so it's not very substantial at all. Hooray for loopholes! 

So, to summarize: 
1/2 a banana
1 tsp. nutella
Whole oats
1 whole wheat tortilla shell

Spread the ingredients over 1/2 of the tortilla and fold in half. Cook over medium heat for about 1 minute on each side or until shell is warm and nutella well melted. Do not overcook!

Enjoy!
Before being warmed up! Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment