Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

DIY Valentines

There's still nothing quite like a homemade card, gift, or valentine! I've always loved Valentine's Day, and have never really seen it as a strictly romantic holiday. Even as a grad student I gave chocolates and cartoon-themed cards to all of my fellow TAs! It's a nice way to be thoughtful and make others smile!

I've been scanning Pinterest for a couple of weeks looking for inspiration for homemade Valentines (something I haven't done in a few years). Below are some of my favorites sources of inspiration! Click on each image to pin the original source. Hope you LOVE them! =) 

1. Bookmark Valentines
I love the idea of using paint samples (which are typically free!) to create bookmarks. Using scrapbooking hole punchers in the shape of a heart adds a nice touch. I would also suggest writing a favorite quote or bible verse to add more personalization!

Bookmark Valentines: Click for link. 

2. Simply Cute Animal Valentines or Magnets 
While I've never been an extremely talented artist, even I can manage some cute stick figures, and this how-to guide is pretty helpful. I like the simplicity of these cartoons. Plus I'm a sucker for corny Valentine puns! 
Here's the guide first (taken from Pinterest, but I couldn't find the source): 

And now for my  Not-So-Creative-Corny-Valentines Puns: 

1. Cat: I think you are purrrrfect Valentine!
2. Dog: No bones about it, you're a great friend!
3. Bird: You're a tweet-heart!  
4. Dragonfly: Valentine you're so fly! 
5. Ladybug: I couldn't spot a better Valentine!
6. Butterfly:  Your friendship has transformed me! 
7. Pig: When life get's SLOP-py, it's great to have a pal like you!
8. Dog 2: I "Ruff" You! 
9. Horse: I could go HORSE talking about how great you are, Valentine!

I like the idea of making these little guys on magnets. It's super cheap to buy a roll of magnetic tape at your local craft store, as well as unlined index cards. I used this trick all the time when I was teaching elementary French. We used my magnetized drawings all the time to learn vocabulary! 

3. DIY Sharpie Plates and Mugs
This idea has overtaken pinterest! It's so easy and cheap, too! Simply buy mugs or plates from the dollar store, draw designs on them with a sharpie, then bake at 350 for 30 minutes to create a permanent design. Fill your designed mug with candy hearts for the perfect personalized gift on Feb. 14! 
Image pinned from the Sweetest Occasion Blog!

4. Dip Dyed Candles 
LOVE this idea from Martha Stewart! If you have a slow cooker, plain white candles, and some crayons, you can create your own colored candles! Just some melting and dipping required! You will need to stop by your local craft store for some wax beads to melt with the candles. Various pinks and reds would really add to the mood of a romantic dinner! 
See the Martha Stewart website for complete instructions!

Happy crafting, and a very happy Valentines Day to you and all of those you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment