Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DIY Vintage Canvas Art

This week I discovered that a computer, a printer, and a little creativity can go a long way!



Vintage prints are so popular right now. However, they are kind of impersonal. Don't get me wrong- I love the look of a random French advertisement printed on a pillow, but wouldn't it be wonderful if it had a special meaning to me as well?

That was the goal for this project: to create my own vintage art that could also be personal. Since I am leaving soon for a week long vacation to the Isle of Man (a small island in the Irish sea to which I have strong ancestral ties), I thought I'd design something that would remind me of this trip for years to come.

To start, I did a search for vintage clip art that I could download for free. I was surprised to find so many options, such as:

thegraphicsfairy.com
vintagefeedsacks.blogspot.com
missmary.com

I eventually settled on an anchor from the Graphics Fairy.

Next, I wanted to find a vintage looking font, and fell in love with (the ironically named) "Ugly Qua" font, which I downloaded for free from www.dafont.com. (Note: you will need to download the zip files, extract the files, and then save to the "fonts" folder under "Control Panel" before you can use the font in MS Word).

Once I had typed up my design in Word, I bought some canvas scrapbooking paper (can be purchased at AC Moore or Michaels). It's thin enough to run through the printer, though I had to trim it to size. I also picked up a black frame for $5 at AC Moore. For less than $10, I was able to create my own personal vintage-looking artwork!

Ta-da! I hung it on the wall under one of my vintage maps. It looks great! 



No comments:

Post a Comment