Pages

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What Paris taught me.

It's no easy task writing about Paris. Paris has been discussed, analyzed, fantasized about, and selected as a core design inspiration since forever. After having completed a thesis on medieval French music, I'm convinced that it was just as magical then- pre-Eiffel Tower- as it is now.

What is it that makes Paris so magical? How can a city be so effortlessly stunning? I don't really have answers. I'm just fortunate to have been able to experience Paris on several different occasions now. Walking its streets, eating excessive amounts of its pain au chocolat, and allowing myself to be romanced by its twinkling lights all taught me a few things that I hope to incorporate into my design.

1. Soft colors are calming and romantic. The greys and whites of Parisian architecture, alongside the natural greens of the gardens and the blue of the Seine, create a charming palate that never gets old.

2. Surround yourself with a few key lovely things. The Eiffel Tower is breathtaking from every angle. No matter how often I see, I can't catch a glimpse without appreciating its presence. The same can be true for home design- a few key pieces can set quite the tone. Sometimes less is more.

3. Appeal to all senses. The smell of fresh baked baguettes, the feel of soft linens, the sight of great impressionist art, the sounds of accordion in the metro...Paris attacks and enchants each sense. Your home should be comforting in the same way.

4. Live. Though I'm usually intimidated by cities, Paris is just so friendly. It proves that it is possible to have lovely things that still allow for a livable space. French pinstripe linens and old feedsack, for example, create rustic elegance but are easily washable.

5. Love. Be passionate about people. About things. About art, music, and life. Let your passions guide your design and your house will feel like a home.

6. Simplify. Yes, there are some people rushing down the street gripping cell phones in Paris, but there are far more eating lunch in one of the many parks, strolling casually down alleyways without any real sense of urgency. As I wandered around the city, turning off of the beaten path, I think this is what surprised me the most. There was a calm and quiet to Paris that I had not expected. And that's the best way to enjoy a city- to unplug and just be there. Couldn't we all use more of that in our lives and in our homes?

Paris, je t'aime! 





No comments:

Post a Comment