Pages

Monday, June 3, 2013

Greek Veggie Burgers

Meatless Monday again! The other night I needed a quick and portable dinner for us, since I had to work late and my husband would be meeting me on campus. I decided to go with these Greek Boca Burgers, a family favorite since I was in high school. I think the original recipe came from Kraft Foods, but it's been altered so many times that I'm not sure where it stands now. Here's how I fixed it tonight:

Ingredients (for two people):
1/2 cucumber, chopped into small cubes
Tomato, sliced
Two pita pockets
Vegan Veggie Burgers
2 heaping teaspoons, sour cream
Garlic powder
Feta cheese

1. Cook the veggie burgers in olive oil until thoroughly cooked and, as I like it, a little crunchy. About five minutes each side over medium heat.

2. In a small bowl combine sour cream and cucumber. Sprinkle in garlic powder and mix together. This is basically a simplified tzatziki sauce.

3. Fill the pita pocket with sour cream mixture, tomato slices, and the veggie burger (easier if you cut it in half). Top with feta cheese if desired.

I have to say, refrigerating them for a few hours while I taught the evening class didn't hurt the taste. In fact, we kind of liked how the sauce soaked into the bread. Of course the intent is to eat them right away, but it's nice to know that these could be a substitute for PB&J on picnics! Enjoy! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment